Tuesday 29 January 2008

train (phone)lines

"The other day I ended up by saying to someone at National Rail Enquiries: "You don't know any more about this than I do!" My adviser agreed ruefully."
 
Once upon a time, my housemate worked for NRE, and they were based in local call centres, and this one was behind Liverpool Lime Street Station.  I needed to make an unusual journey (say south coast to Liverpool, or something)......  The actual journey should have taken ages, but I knew that engineering works meant some trains were making unusual unscheduled stops.
 
I called NRE and challenged the guy who answered that we could shave hours of the official time if we could use these unscheduled stops.  we then spent about 25 minutes working out a schedule that got me from A to B quicker through stops that don't appear on the normal timetable.
 
He admitted it was the best enquiry he'd ever had and the most fun - but alas, then they sacked them all and shipped them into a huge call centre and shipped capacity off to India.  oh well.......
 

No comments: