Monday 16 March 2009

what value £30?

According to the Manchester Evening News this morning (itself is a paradox....) 1 in 4 motorists would rather pay £30 than watch a 15 minute video about road safety, after being caught driving without a seat belt.
 
Ignoring the obvious point that £30 could be worth your LIFE!! 
 
£30 is obviously worth less than fifteen minutes - and you know, I would probably choose to pay £30 as well. (I can't drive anyway, so I don't want any comments about going without a seat belt - if I drive at all, I'm sure the fine would be a lot bigger than £30 and I would always clunk click)
 
But in many ways £30 is so little compared with time which is very precious.  Shockingly a quarter of people feel that they can buy their way out of responsibility.  But by having a figure as low as £30, then we are validating that opportunity.  a punishment needs to feel like a punishment, otherwise it is seen as an opportunity cost.
 
£100 and a point on your licence, versus a 15min video strikes me as a much more effective tool.
 
SH
 
 

No comments: