Wednesday 15 April 2009

profelitists

A number of newspapers are carrying stories this morning about the domination of the professions by the well-off.  Sorry to get all classist about this, but I can understand Law being heavily burdened by the privileged, but when industries such as Media are, which depend on creativity and ideas, regardless of where they originate, then its a bad sign for a significant part of our economy.
 
I'm not surprised really - I remember reading about Camilla Parker-Bowles son being caught doing coke in Cannes, where he was working in the film industry.  I was at home reading my Variety and dreaming of being given some kind of lucky break to enter the film industry (still me secret desire).  Of course, I don't believe for a second he got there by his own merit.  I believe he got there by family connections - and if I remember correctly the story proved me right.  A not-very-good film promoter in Cannes getting coked up at the age of 21 or something.
 
Sure, my personal story is a tragedy....... But there is simply this bigger picture to consider that if we do not live in a society where hard work, talent, and opportunity can give you a life you want, then our economy will never make the great strides we need.
 
SH

No comments: