Wednesday 1 April 2009

VW ad banned for the wrong reasons

Ofcom have banned a volkswagen advert where an engineer fights several versions of himself, finishing with a tagline along the lines of "the only people we have to beat are ourselves".

I hate this advert. But not for the same reasons as all those people who complained - I just think it's shit. Potentially a good concept, but let down by taking itself way too seriously.. If you're message is that arrogant it helps to show a little humility first. On a practical note I think the style of the piece makes it hard to identify that it is in fact the same engineer fighting with himself.

If I had a chance to recut it I would pause longer on the first assailant to give the audience time to realise who he was and then do a Tongue in cheek challenge to come attack with his hand a la Morpheus from the matrix. By adding a softer more comic ironic feel I think the whole ad would perform better.

Less people might have complained about it too!

SH

No comments: